Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blasphemy!!!

Ok so I realize this is going to end up w/ people w/ knitted pitchforks and torches outside my blog, but I officially HATE top down socks.  I decided to knit an easy pair Earl Grey from the amazing Yarn Harlot but it kinda blew goats doing the pattern.** I was really happy starting out, the cuff flew by, but when I got to the heel everything went off the rails.  I did manage to succesfully execute the sock and will be finishing the pair.  But arg.  The heel was all fiddly and guesswork and using magic 8 ball.  (Should I decrease here?  Outlook fuzzy.  Ask again later.)  And then I don't know if this is my fail or what, but the toes from where I had to graft together have an annoying ridge.  I hate the idea of re-engineering patterns for top down socks to toe up, but it's so much easier at this point than having to break out calculus to get a heel right.  (I use Priscilla Wild's short row heel for my toe ups and I can basically turn off my brain and I always get the exact right number of stitches.  It's pretty much magic.)

** Note the pattern was great, the socks turned out lovely.  Just not going to be getting on board the whole top down thing any time in the near ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment