Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wool and I have decided to just be friends...

So wool and I just had our first big fight.  You see, I have been knitting shawls and wraps using sock yarn.  And throwing them in the washing machine to loosen up the yarn has been A OK.  I pin them and block them as normal, (I don't put wool in the dryer... I'm not a philistine.) no problem.  However I got some Bamboo and Ewe from the lovely people at Stitch and Bitch Nation and decided to do a shawl in DK weight.  (Idea gotten from 198 Yards of Heaven). 

I finished the shawl rather quickly (yay DK weight!) and threw in to washer as usual.  About 10 minutes later I pulled out a ball of fuzz.  Apparently wool does this thing called "felting" otherwise known as "making me cry."  Having cut my teeth on acrylic (which is totally besties with the washer AND the dryer) this was a rather unexpected result.

I cannot possibly start gifting family in cold climates things made out of ornery and difficult.  And while I personally LOVE wool and am willing to work for it's love, it's going to have to be for things I make for only myself.  I know superwash will resolve this but since I have PILES of supercry wool laying around I cannot justify replacing it all.  So in the mean time, wool and I are still hanging out, but I'm sad to say the love affair is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment